CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Taking fate into your own hands

When I went to Utah to interview i forgot to bring a book to read. While i could have bought a book at the airport, I had one I was working on at home and another i wanted to start. I chose to fly to and from with nothing to occupy my time but my thoughts and my ipod. I thought a lot. I thought about all the places I had been to interview and the first through fourth drafts of ranking lists Chris and I had put together. I began to panic as i realized that there were only two places on my list which had both an excellent program and a ideal location! I panicked more when i remembered i only had three places left to go, all locations i have been to (seattle, phoenix, las vegas). By the time Chris picked me up from the airport in Tucson I was really worried. I want a strong top five, not top two!!

Through this whole process I have taken the approach that i would do my best and let fate decide the rest. I accept my rejections, have taken every interview offered to me, and i let my intuition guide me. After my airplane panic and now growing concern i decided to take some initiative. Of my original top choice schools i have only been to two and this was not ok with me.

I took action. I wrote emails to the program directors at the schools that i continue to consider to be top choices and told them i should come interview, that i should get a chance because i will be a great resident and a great surgeon. As a result I am now going to UNC to interview on Friday instead of Las Vegas (although i hope to reschedule). I am proud of myself and while fate is great, knowing what i want and going for it is even better.

1 comments:

Nicole Linn

Good for you! Yeah, fate is only good for so much. Sometimes you have to make your destiny. :)

Post a Comment